(click on image to view larger picture)
Date of Issue:
February 05, 1972 - 6c, 7c, 8c, 20c
June o6, 1972 - 1c, 2c, 3c, $1
February 06, 1973 - 4c, 5c, 9c, 50c
June 04, 1973 - 10c, 25c, 30c, 35c
Scott #: 39 - 54
1c - Eagle (1714)
Under the command of Capt. Beeckman, this ship passed Christmas Island on April 5, 1714, on a voyage from England to Borneo.
2c - H.M.S. Redpole (1890)
H.M.S. Redpole visited the island in 1890. The Redpole was a gunboat (1st Class), one of half-a-dozen sister-ships all named after birds.
3c - M.V. Hoi Houw (1959)
Hoi Houw (Sea Queen), a motorship owned by Skibs A/S Corona of Haugesund, Norway. Her service route is Whampoa, Hong Kong, Singapore, Port Swettenham, Christmas Island. She made her first voyage to the island on May. 14, 1959, and carries general cargo and passengers to and from Singapore.
4c - Pigot (1771)
Visited Christmas Island in 1771.
5c - S.S. Valetta (1968)
The Valetta, a bulk carrier on charter to the British Phosphate Commissioners. She visits the island at intervals to load phosphate rock for ports in New Zealand and Australia.
6c - H.M.S. Flying Fish (1887)
Originally Daring, renamed Flying Fish on January 14, 1873. On her homeward voyage from Australia to England, under command of Capt. J.F.L.P. MacLear she visited Christmas Island in January 1887.
7c - Asia (1805)
East Indiaman built 1803. A 3-deck merchantman on London-India service. Ships of iron from 480 to 520 tons were the most suitable vessels for bringing home what was known as 'gruff' goods, that is, cargoes of Indian goods consisting of such raw materials as cotton, rice, sugar, pepper, hemp and saltpetre. Fine goods, such as silks, muslins and teas were carried in the companys ships, over the 520tn mark.
8c - TSS Islander (1929 - 1960)
A Christmas Island Phosphate Company's and later the British Phosphate Commissioners' ship, built by the Grangemouth Dockyard Company, in 1929. The vessel's service ended in 1960.
9c - H.M.S. Imperieuse (1888)
The Imperieuse (wrongly spelt Imperious) on the stamp was a visitor to the island in June 1888. On this occasion, Capt. H. W. May, R.N. landed at Flying Fish Cove and formally declared Christmas Island to be part of the British Empire.
10c - H.M.S. Egeria (1887)
H.M.S. Egeria (actually HMS Hecate) visited the island in 1888 and a party from the warship discovered phosphate deposits, with the consequent annexation of the island by Great Britain.
20c - Thomas (1615)
Visited the Island on 1615.
25c - H.M.S. Gordon (1864)
This is reputed to be the ship from which Capt. Gardner landed an attempted exploration party in 1864 on the island. The first and only Gordon in the Royal Navy was in 1907.It would seem that either the name is wrong or the "H.M.S." is incorrect.
30c - Cygnet (1688)
Cygnet, made the first recorded landing on Christmas Island by a party sent by William Dampier in the year 1688.
35c - S.S. Triadic (1958)
The Triadic, was launched as the repair ship, H.M.S. Dungeness at the West Coast Shipbuilding Yard, Vancouver, on March 15, 1945. She was sold in September 1947, and was renamed Leuvuka. Sold again in 1948, she was renamed Triadic.Owned by the British Phosphate Commissioners, she is registered at London.
50c - H.M.S. Amethyst (1857)
H.M.S. Amethyst visited Christmas Island in 1857, when Capt. Grenfell, R.N., made the first attempt to reach the summit of the plateau, which has several prominent heights.
$1 - Royal Mary (1643)
An East Indiaman, under the command of Captain William Mynors, sighted and named the island on december 25th, 1643 while homeward bound to England from the East Indies.
Text Source: Shipstamps.co.uk